Advertisements

It’s more fun in Cebu: Tuslob Buwa at Azul (Pork Brain Fondue)

22 Jun

Are you looking for an eating experience that is uniquely Cebuano? The latest cholesterol-rich food craze in Cebu is the Tuslob Buwa.  Tuslob Buwa is the term for dipping puso on a simmering sautéed pork brains. The sautéed brains produce a lot of bubbles or “buwa” in Cebuano. In the past, Tuslob Buwa is famous in places like Pasil where school children who are short of lunch money spend their measly baon to have filling meal at a Tuslob Buwa stall.  The current Tuslob Buwa craze in Cebu is somewhat different.  The new Tuslob Buwa places is like Cebu’s version of shabu-shabu or yakiniku.  It’s a similar cook your own food concept but with a definite Cebuano twist.

One of the popular places to go for a make your own Tuslob Buwa is Azul at Gorordo Avenue, Lahug. Azul is a convenience store next to a popular local shirt store and tattoo parlor. Before, young people just go to Azul late in the evening to hangout, have some beer, and have a fun barkada bonding.  With the addition of the Tuslob Buwa Experience, the place is packed during lunch and dinner time.  Because the store is very accessible, people of different kinds can just go there and experience their own brand of Tuslob Buwa.  When you visit there you can see students, young professionals, families, moms, children, and even couples having an enjoyable dining experience.

An order of Tuslob Buwa Experience will comprise of puso (hanging rice), pork brain, pork liver, onions, bagoong, and oil for cooking.  You are also given a butane powered stove where you create your own Tuslob Buwa creation.  Some people would like to have a Tuslob Buwa made of purely of brains while others like to mix and match by putting the liver and the bagoong or hipon in Cebuano.  The dish is pretty simple to cook.  You heat the oil, put the onions then you can put the protein of your choice. You season it then let it simmer and when the liquid is reduced, you will see a lot of bubbles. That will be time that you will dip the hanging rice as if it is fondue.  If the Swiss has bread to cheese, Cebuanos has rice to brain. Very yummy but it is not for everybody. Azul even put warning signs that overeating this dish could lead to some serious health problems. Eating Tuslob Buwa is indeed risky but its fun just like bungee jumping. Maybe, the shirt store beside Azul could make “I Survived Tuslob Buwa” shirts as souvenirs.

Try the pork brain fondue now and tell us how much fun it is. 😉

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

12 Responses to “It’s more fun in Cebu: Tuslob Buwa at Azul (Pork Brain Fondue)”

1. JeLo Pal February 21, 2015 at 11:19 pm #

Thanks so much for posting this, we are planning to visit Cebu this coming March. I have been there 2x already, but honestly I still don’t know what are other places in Cebu that I can visit. Been to LAHUG, MANDAUE and MANGO SQUARE(night life..oh really great!) Hahahaha….thanks again for this…perfect!

2. lloydy February 22, 2015 at 1:22 am #

This travel blog , made me feel I’m into that location, I’m not been there in cebu, but I Love to visit it.

3. yoydee09 February 22, 2015 at 1:23 am #

This travel blog made me feel like I’ve been there in Cebu but I love to visit there.

4. Archie M. de Lara February 22, 2015 at 4:18 am #

I may not try this dish… I think I’m fine with danggit and fried rice.

5. tumandok February 22, 2015 at 7:49 am #

This seems to be inviting to indulge in eating food rich in cholesterol. For me, it’s not fun for I avoid eating too much cholesterol-rich food especial pork for I am already a senior citizen. – Gil Camporazo

6. Jojo Vito February 22, 2015 at 8:49 am #

i really wanted to give this resto a try.I just cannot imagine bagoong and brain together 🙂

• caloyolano February 22, 2015 at 3:39 pm #

Try it once…it’s always an option not too put bagoong

7. Cebuana Mom February 22, 2015 at 5:20 pm #

A lot of people said this is delicious but I’m really the classic type of person when it comes to food. I’ve been telling myself to go try this one but we’ll see 🙂

8. franckxethee February 23, 2015 at 7:52 am #

I’m not really adventurous when it comes to food but I think if I’m in Cebu, I’ll give this a try.

9. leybainpublic February 24, 2015 at 3:15 am #

This dish sounds really authentic. Haven’t tried nor seen this food personally but your posts make me wanna try some of this soon. Gotta watch out for my cholesterol level though.

10. Jonas Labagala February 24, 2015 at 3:33 am #

I haven’t tried this when we were in Cebu just because… We were not told that there’s Tuslob Buwa or they just don’t want us to try and diverted us somewhere.. Anyway, I might try this but I have to muster some courage though.. 😀

Trackbacks/Pingbacks