The UAAP Season 75 Senior’s Basketball has no winless team left after the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons routed the University of the East Red Warriors. The win caused a logjam for the 6th-8th places. UP, UE, and Adamson University Soaring Falcons all tot a 1-6 record.
For the first time in many years, UP held the lead from the 1st quarter till the end of the match. All 12 players tapped by Maroons Coach Ricky Dandan scored at least a point. It was a total team effort for a team that is learning how to win after several near-wins against some of toughest teams of the season like DLSU and Ateneo. UP boasts of one of the most experienced groups in this year’s competition as 8 of its players are in their final year of playing at the UAAP. The Fighting Maroons were, however, led by a 16 year old Freshman from Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu in this game. Former Energen U-16 mainstay Renzar Henry Asilum scored 14 points along with 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals. He was able to somehow negate the efforts of the explosive Roi Sumang of UE who finished with 18 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block. Asilum was backstopped by Mark Lopez who had 10 markers, 8 boards, 4 dishes, 2 thefts, and 1 blocked shot. UP was able to dominate the rebound battle with a +10 margin (48-38). They also had a 23-6 advantage on assists while causing 21 TOs and making 10 steals. UP was able to limit their turnovers to just 11 in the game.
The next game for both teams will be on August 25 with UP battling Ateneo and UE facing DLSU.
UP 63 – Asilum 14, Lopez 10, Hipolito 9, Ball 7, Montecastro 6, Romero 5, Silungan 3, Mbah 2, Wierzba 2, Soyud 2, Padilla 2, Manuel 1
UE 48– Sumang 18, Sumido 9, Santos 8, Duran 4, Galanza 3, Flores 3, Javier 2, Hernandez 1, Alberto 0, Belleza 0, Villarias 0, Valdez 0
QUARTER SCORING: 14-11, 30-26, 50-41, 63-48
- 2012 UAAP Basketball: UP’s Asilum debuts with 12 points in loss; Tallo scoreless (cebuislandlive.com)
- UAAP 75 Game Day Recap: UST ties for the lead; UP solo at the bottom of the team standings (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- UAAP 75: Parks, NU nail biggest win of the season (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- UP stops slide with win over UE (sports.inquirer.net)
- UAAP Season 75: DLSU now 2-0 after beating UE, 67-59 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- UAAP Season 75 Junior’s Basketball: NU, FEU both now 6-0 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- UP Maroons now built for a Final Four run (sports.inquirer.net)