The San Miguel Beermen needed a Game 3 victory to clinch a finals slot in the 3rd season of the AirAsia Asean Basketball League (ABL). They accomplished their mission yesterday as they routed the Wesports Malaysia Dragons, 90-56. After SMB‘s game 2 loss in Malaysia, the Philippines were in danger of sending no representative in the finals after a regular season dominated San Miguel and AirAsia Philippine Patroits. The Pats were upset by the Indonesia Warriors in two games. San Miguel made sure that the Philippines, SouthEast Asia’s top basketball country, will have a say on who will be this year’s champion.
The victory of San Miguel means that there will be Cebuano faces in the finals. Former University of Cebu star center Junmar Fajardo , and ex-USJR stars John Ferriols and Roger Yap are expected to play good minutes in the finals. In Game 3 of the series against Malaysia, Fajardo made a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds in 17 minutes of action. Eight of his rebounds were from the offensive end helping the Beermen dominate with a +22 rebound advantage (56-34). Fajardo was also one of 5 Beermen who scored in double digits. Nick Fazekas (21), Leo Avenido (18), Duke Crews (15), and Chris Banchero (10) were the other players who carried the bulk of SMB’s scoring load.
After a tight first half which ended at 37-35, the Beermen had a 53-21 wind up to embarrass the visitors. Only, Tiras Wade (25) and fellow import Brian Williams (12) finished in double figures for Malaysia. Patrick Cabahug missed all of his 9 attempts to make it more difficult for the Malaysians. Malaysia missed 42 of its 59 field goal attempts leading to its most lopsided loss in the recent months.
SAN MIGUEL 90 – Fazekas 21, Avenido 18, Crews 15, Fajardo 11, Banchero 10, Luanzon 7, Dimaunahan 6, Ferriols 2, Yap 0, Fernandez 0, Baguion 0, Gonzales 0.
MALAYSIA 56 – Wade 25, Williams 12, Ng 8, Pacana 5, Loh 3, Belasco 2, Kuppusamy 1, Batumalai 0, Cabahug 0, Chee 0, Kwaan 0.
Quarters: 18-20; 37-35; 66-45; 90-56
- San Miguel barges into ABL finals after dominating Malaysia, 90-56 (sports.inquirer.net)
- ABL Playoffs: Beermen, Patriots meet contrasting fates in Game 1 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- ABL Playoffs: June Mar Fajardo scored 11 points in Beermen’s Game 1 win (cebulive.wordpress.com)
- Cebuanos in the ABL: Season Stats of Cebuano Beermen so far (cebulive.wordpress.com)
- Visiting San Miguel clobbered by Malaysia in the ABL semis (sports.inquirer.net)
- San Miguel draws first blood in ABL semis, downs Malaysia (sports.inquirer.net)
- Beermen trounce Patriots anew in the ABL as Crews shines (sports.inquirer.net)