ALA boy Mark Jason Melligen lost his bout to Sebastian Lujan of Argentina. The Argentinean who extended his winning streak to 12 fights took the ESPN2: Friday Night Fights bout on a 2-week notice after Melligen’s original opponent Freddy Hernandez suffered an injury.
Melligen fighting out of Cebu‘s famed ALA stable dominated the first part of the U.S.-Televised fight. When Lujan found his range starting at the 4th round, Melligen had a hard time dealing with the Argentinean’s offensive. He eventually fell down 4 times fround Round 6 and the match eventually ended in the 9th round.
It was Melligen’s first loss in 6 bouts and his 2nd defeat in the U.S. His record fell to 21 wins with losses. It was a disappointing loss for his because he was touted to be one of the future Filipino boxing champions.
A lot of forumers and bloggers are again noticing the failure of ALA Gym in winning the big matches. For years the cebu-based gym has been honing the best boxing prospects in the country only to fail in the big fights. It is tough but hopefully ALA will produce a World Champion before 2012.
- ESPN2 Friday Night Fights: Round-by-Round Updates for All of Tonight’s Fights (bleacherreport.com)
- Friday Night Fights: Hope conquers all (bwmedia.wordpress.com)
- You: Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Is What Everyone in the World Wants to See (bleacherreport.com)
- Exciting Fight Card this Weekend in Cebu Coliseum (cebulive.wordpress.com)
- Melligen Humbled (Philboxing)
- No Shame in loss (Examiner)