Tropical cyclone Bopha has intensified to a category 2 typhoon. As of 5 AM today, Bopha has 175 km/h wind near the center. Once Bopha enters the Philippine area of responsibility it will be locally known as “Pablo”.
Based on the forecast tracks from USA, Japan, Beijing, Taiwan, and Korea, Bopha is expected to affect Mindanao and the Visayas. It is forecasted to make landfall somewhere in the Northeastern tip of Mindanao or in an island in the Visayas. In the JTWC storm track, the weather disturbance would graze the islands of Bohol, Cebu, Negros, and Panay. Bopha is also expected to become a super typhoon in the next few days. The typhoon will most likely affect Cebu from December 5 to 7. Residents of Visayas and Mindanao should prepare for the typhoon which is expected to be stronger than Sendong. People are advised to check the Pagasa weather bulletin frequently to get accurate updates. As of today, no storm signals have been raised yet in the country.
- Storm nears Mindanao (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- NASA sees ‘hot towers’ in intensifying Typhoon Bopha (eurekalert.org)
- Tropical Depression Bopha (26W) – Pacific Ocean (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Active tropical storm system – Pacific Ocean : Tropical Depression Bopha (26W) (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- 2 more cyclones expected to enter PAR in December – Pagasa (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Tips on preparing for the Super Typhoon