Ulanbaatar, Mongolia – SEABA Champions Philippines continued its mastery over fellow Southeast Asian representative Indonesia by handily beating the Indons 88-62 in the second phase of the group matches in the 22nd FIBA-Asia Under 18 Championships for Men.
The Indonesians coached by Filipino Nat Canson exploited a tentative start by the Philippines to lead 12-11 at the 5:00 minute mark of the opening quarter. The Energen Pilipinas Under Youth squad coached by Olsen Racela responded by outscoring their opponents 12-6 at the second 5 minutes of the first period to lead 23-18 after the first quarter. The Philippines held Indonesia to 12 points in the second period to bloat the lead to 15 by halftime. The Energen boys just continued to exploit the disparity in skills to coast to victory.
UAAP Jrs. MVP Jerie Pingoy top scored for the Philippines with 16 points in just 14 minutes of action. Mario Bonleon finished with 15 points while NCAA Jrs. MVP Rey Nambatac added 11 markers. Cebuano Kris Porter finished with 8 points and 3 boards. Indonesia was lead by the 12 points of Jan Panagan.
It was a good win for the Philippines as they came of a loss a against powerhouse Iran in the previous game. The Philippines will next face Chinese- Taipei in a game that will be very important in determining the top 2 spots in Group F.
Second Round Standings:
- 22nd FIBA-Asia Under-18 Championships: Pingoy scores 11 in National Team Debut (cebuislandlive.com)
- 22nd FIBA-Asia U18 Championships Group Stage: Philippines zooms past Kazakhstan, 83-69 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- 22nd Fiba Asia U18 Championship: Cebuanos Pingoy, Porter reinforce Energen U-18 team (cebuislandlive.com)
- PH U-18 squad opens up FIBA-Asia with easy win (sports.inquirer.net)
- Cebu Live’s 8 Questions with Jerie Marlon Pingoy (cebuislandlive.com)
- PH U-18 now 2-0 in Fiba tourney (newsinfo.inquirer.net)