Smart Araneta Coliseum, Cubao, Quezon City – Former Don Bosco Technical College high school basketball player Christopher “Oping” Sumalinog scored 10 points, grabbed 5 rebounds, and had 1 steal in 17 minutes of action to help the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles beat the hard-fighting University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons, 76-70, in their first encounter in the basketball tournament of the 75th season of the UAAP.
Leading by only 3 at 67-64 in the fourth period after 3-pointers from UP’s Mark Lopez and Mike Gamboa, Ateneo turned to Sumalinog for the needed boost in scoring. The Cebuano responded by scoring 5 in a 7-0 run that brought the lead to a safe ten points, 74-64, with only 2:30 left to play. Sumalinog who is usually used by coach Norman Black as a defensive stopper hit 2 0f his 3 attempts from long distance while the rest of the Blue Eagle squad went 0 for 7 for the afternoon.
It was a tough loss for UP who are still looking for their first win of the season. The Fighting Maroons came out strong right at the opening tip and even took a 9 point lead at some point in the second period. It was a stark contrast to the lethargic starts of UP in their previous 3 games. UP held a 40-32 lead at the half-time break. The break, however, was just what Ateneo needed to wake up from their offensive slumber as they outscored their Katipunan neighbors 29-17 in the crucial 3rd period and took the lead for good.
Nico Salva was the game’s top scorer as he managed to get 21 markers. Former University of the Visayas Green Lancer Greg Slaughter finished with 13 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. Mark Lopez, Alvin Padilla, and Mike Gamboa scored in double figures for the Maroon five. Former Sacred Heart School- Ateneo de Cebu and RP U-16 member Henry Asilum started for UP and finished with 6 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 steal. He was 2 for 2 beyond the arc but he missed all of his five 2-point shot attempts.
With the win Ateneo moved to 4-1 while UP sank to 0-4.
ADMU 76 – Salva 21, Slaughter 13, Ravena 11, Sumalinog 10, Chua 7, Gonzaga 5, Buenafe 5, Erram 2, Elorde 2, Pessumal 0, Capacio 0
UP 70 – Lopez 13, Ball 11, Padilla 11, Gamboa 10, Soyud 6, Montecastro 6, Asilum 6, Romero 2, Mbah 0, Manuel 0, Hipolito 0, Gallarza 0
Quarter scores: 17-19, 32-40, 61-57, 76-70
- 2012 UAAP Senior’s Basketball: Slaughter leads Eagles to victory over Archers (cebuislandlive.com)
- UAAP Season 75 Junior’s Basketball: NU, FEU still undefeated (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- UAAP Season 75: Tigers slay another favorite (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- 2012 UAAP Basketball: UP’s Asilum debuts with 12 points in loss; Tallo scoreless (cebuislandlive.com)
- 2012 UAAP Basketball: Slaughter gets double-double in Ateneo’s rout of NU (cebuislandlive.com)
- National U back on track, dumps UP (sports.inquirer.net)
- 2012 UAAP Juniors Basketball: Pingoy leads FEU Baby Tamaraws to a win against Blue Eaglets (cebuislandlive.com)
- Ateneo rallies to beat UP (inquirer.net)