The Asean Basketball League (ABL) playoffs has started and the top seeded San Miguel Beermen won Game 1 in their series against the Westports Malaysia Dragons. The Beermen needed overtime to overcome the gritty challenge from the visitors who were led by Brian Williams. After the score was knotted at 95-all at the end of regulation, San Miguel dominated the OT period to win, 111-104.
Cebuano big man June Mar Fajardo scored 11 points in San Miguel’s first ever playoff win. He managed to reach in double figures even if he just played 9 minutes. He made all 4 of his field goal attempts and he shot 3 of 5 from the line. Fajardo also grabbed 6 rebounds and had 4 fouls in his limited minutes. Fellow Cebuano Roger Yap had a stat line of 6 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 1 blocked shot. The two players are expected to have important roles for the Beermen in the coming games. Game 2 of the series will be on June 2 and action will shift to Malaysia.
- San Miguel Beermen beat Slammers on Roger Yap’s debut (cebulive.wordpress.com)
- Cebuanos in the ABL: Season Stats of Cebuano Beermen so far (cebulive.wordpress.com)
- B-Meg releases ex-USJR star Roger Yap to San Miguel Beermen (cebulive.wordpress.com)
- San Miguel draws first blood in ABL semis, downs Malaysia (sports.inquirer.net)
- PH Patriots turn back Cobras for 13th victory (sports.inquirer.net)